[lbo-talk] Podhoretz on Ginsberg

Lance Murdoch lbotalk at lancemurdoch.org
Thu May 15 09:02:55 PDT 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> In my quest to understand what makes up the tortured mind of a
> neoconservative, I bought Norman Podhoretz, Ex-Friends for 5.90 on
> Alibrus.

I did not buy ex-Friends, nor even read it cover to cover, but I did flip through it in the bookstore, I read the whole Ginsberg chapter and some other parts. I find Podhoretz very dull, and his thinking very dull as well, but in that book he talks about people more interesting than himself, so that counterbalances his stupifying dullness and unlike his other work I read it. Although it's only interesting insofar as relating what actually happened, not his lame-o attempts to try to figure out what made these people tick. For example, Podhoretz accuses Ginsberg of being a heterosexual who pretended to be a homosexual just to seem more bohemian, or radical, or to sell more books or something.