[lbo-talk] Re: Podhoretz on Ginsberg

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu May 15 12:23:38 PDT 2003

.... but in that book he talks about people more interesting than himself, so that counterbalances his stupifying dullness and unlike his other work I read it. Although it's only interesting insofar as relating what actually happened, not his lame-o attempts to try to figure out what made these people tick. For example, Podhoretz accuses Ginsberg of being a heterosexual who pretended to be a homosexual just to seem more bohemian, or radical, or to sell more books or something. Lance Murdock

Absolutely. Podhoretz is completely transparent, in a way that he probably can't see which only makes it all the more fascinating. His strange inability to grasp Ginsberg's rebellion doesn't illuminant Ginsberg, but Podhoretz. In other words it shines a light on the inner workings of the very sensibility that constructed that moral rigidity with all its insecurity, intolerance, and stupifying density.

Another way I am looking at it is by considering the `lame-o' attempts as an explanation not of its object, but its subject.

I agree with Dennis Perrin's `tin ear' in the sense that Podhoretz has an amazing inability to read--the very attribute he makes claim to as an editor. And this quality in literary work appears to be intimately related to his blindness to the implications and consequences of his political positions.

Some pages after the Ginsberg section he introduces the next chapter on Trilling with a quote from Gide. What Podhoretz didn't realize is that Gide was mocking the French public and the literary establishment with his comment that Victor Hugo was considered the greatest French poet. Podhoretz thought Gide was just reluctant to admit the vastly popular Hugo deserved his reputation. In fact, Gide thought he didn't.

It's a subtle point, but in making this mistake, Podhoretz was mocking himself by accident---shooting his own sensibility and literary judgment in the foot so to speak.

A much more interesting problem is why Gide thought Hugo was terrible. It was question of craft. Gide specialized in extremely tight plots, very closely arranged to open the qualities of the characters who were living out the consequences of their sensibilities. Hugo on the hand runs amok in plot complications that take whole sections to unwind and lead nowhere, while contributing nothing to the over all development. In Gide's mind, that was lousy craftsmanship.

Thinking on that now, I have to wonder if Podhoretz would have been able to see Gide's objections, or if he ever read enough of either to see the problem in the first place.

Chuck Grimes