[lbo-talk] Podhoretz on Ginsberg

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu May 15 12:49:06 PDT 2003

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> In my quest to understand what makes up the tortured
> mind of a neoconservative, I bought Norman Podhoretz,
> Ex-Friends for 5.90 on Alibrus. It was the hard bound
> with dust jacket in perfect condition (originally 25.00
> in 1999). Not surprising the shipping almost doubled the
> cost. There is amusement in that thought as well as the
> fact the review clips on the jacket list Paul Johnson,
> William Bennett, Henry Kissinger, William Kristol, Robert
> Bork, and Jean Kirkpatrick, of those I recognize. And all
> this for under ten bucks. What a deal!
>
> I am in the first section on Ginsberg who was never a
> friend, but rather a nemesis for fifty years (1946-1997).
> There is a constancy between them as enemies worth
> perhaps more to both than friendship could ever offer.

I envy Ginsberg's ability to continue driving some conservatives bugfuck.

Last night I was listening to Michael Savage (a bout of masochism or something). He was blaming Affirmative Action for Jayson Blair's sham at the NYTimes. Throughout the hour he'd recite the mantra "diversity is perversity". The evidence: condom hunts at a university up in Washington, a comical clip of a poet reading a treacle piece on diversity, and Allen Ginsberg (calling him something like "De-generisberg"), the grand corruptor of contemporary poetry.

The worst minds of his generation -- starving, hysterical.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!