[lbo-talk] Survey: Israel Yet to Grasp Concept of Democracy

cuito61 at onebox.com cuito61 at onebox.com
Fri May 16 14:15:29 PDT 2003

Interesting, coming from "the only democracy in the middle east". I wonder what the stats for the U.S. would be.

Published on Friday, May 16, 2003 by Haaretz (Israel) Survey: Israel Yet to Grasp Concept of Democracy by Mazal Mualem

More than half the Jewish population of Israel - 53 percent - is opposed to full equal rights for Israeli Arabs, according to a survey conducted last month by the Israel Democracy Institute.

The general conclusion of the survey, which is dubbed the "Israeli Democracy Survey" and will be conducted every year, is that Israel is basically a democracy in form more than in substance, and that it has yet to internalize fully the concept of democracy.

In examining various indicators concerning the state of democracy in the country, the survey takes into consideration various polls and comparisons with other democracies, and also measures changes in Israeli society over time, using both existing data and research conducted for this specific purpose. The results of the survey - conducted among 1,208 adults representing all sectors of Israel's population - will be announced next Thursday at a conference at the President's Residence in Jerusalem.

The survey focused on institutions, human rights and stability, and social cohesiveness. Each of these three elements were measured according to several indicators; a total of 31 indicators relating to the state of democracy in Israel were used.

The current survey discovered the lowest support in the last 20 years for the assertion that democracy is the best form of governance: Only 77 percent of the respondents supported this premise - as compared to 90 percent in 1999. Israel is also one of the only four countries of the 32 listed in the study, in which most of the public believes that "strong leaders can do more for the country than debates or legislation."

-- With your liberal minds You patronise our culture Scanning the surface like vultures With your tourist mentality we're still the natives You're multicultural but we're anti-racist -asian dub foundation