[lbo-talk] June Carter Cash RIP

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Sat May 17 12:04:11 PDT 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003 14:37:27 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote: <snip>

> Yeah. How far do you want to take this? Chuck Milton and
> Bach out the window too? Or do they get a pass because
> they're canonical?

when i first heard the title track on "the man comes around", my first thought was that kitschy christian rock/christian folk wannabes have wet dreams about writing apocalyptic wrath-of-god songs like this, but they can't do it. they don't have it in them. cash's faith -- one i don't share -- issues forth not in sappy panglossian apologies and tut-tut moralisms, but in harshly beautiful explorations of genuine suffering, real-life evil, and human and divine in/justice. oh, yeah, and he's got a sense of humor, too. imo, you gotta love it.