[lbo-talk] Use of label "fascist"

Stannard67 at aol.com Stannard67 at aol.com
Sat May 17 03:05:28 PDT 2003

In a message dated 5/16/2003 10:23:40 PM Mountain Standard Time, BrownBingb at aol.com writes:

> It is not so important that the potential disaster we now face is not
> technically, exactly fascism. It is close enough. "Fascism" only has the
> emotional impact it does today with historical hindsight. To have called
> the Nazis "fascist" in 1930 would not have warned people of its real
> danger. Similarly, today, to refer to Bush's trend by the techincally
> correct new name that it requires will not necessarily warn people
> sufficiently of the danger it entails, exactly because the heinousness that
> new term references will not be fully comprehended except in hindsight.
> "Fascism" and "Nazism" are terms that may stir people to action against the
> direction of the Bush government. "Bushism" or "neoconservativism" will
> not likely do so.
>
> The thing is to stir people to action to change the world, not give them
> the technically correct term to interpret it.

What a load of cynical, pretentious, anti-democratic, dangerous bullshit.

stannard

Your revolution makes me wonder Where could we go If we could drop the empty pursuit of props and the ego --Sarah Jones, "Your Revolution" -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20030517/9f5d5c16/attachment.htm>