[lbo-talk] 2004 -- a lost year? (was Re: CW in Matrix)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 17 11:47:26 PDT 2003

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Beyond the primary, what might be a plan for those who are engaged
>in electoral politics? An OSU student (a member of the OSU chapter
>of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, among other things),
>who did a great job prodding the OSU Undergraduate Student
>Government to pass an anti-war resolution, has organized a local
>group called Students for Dennis, but so far he has been able to get
>few students excited about the Kucinich campaign. Sharpton and
>Kucinich will not get anywhere in the Democratic Party. As for the
>Greens, you wrote in LBO#103, "The theory of his [Nader's]
>candidacy...was that it was part of the effort to build the Green
>Party, and an alternative political movement larger than electoral
>politics. Little of this has happened. Though there are some
>bright spots here and there, the Green Party is mostly an
>embarrassment, having failed even to keep ballot status in New York
>and nominated a ludicrous candidate in the Minnesota Senate race."
>The Labor Party has been a dud. 2004 -- a lost year for activists,
>except some extra opportunities for protests?

Liza's doing a piece for The Nation on what the kids are up to, electoral-politics-wise, so I'll defer to her on this. I'll just say that it looks like Dean's the one - even some Greens are pushing him. What that means, I dunno. I may be deluded, but it seems urgent to me to get rid of Bush before anything half-decent can happen.

Doug