[lbo-talk] 2004 -- a lost year? (was Re: CW in Matrix)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 17 12:14:52 PDT 2003

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Beyond the primary, what might be a plan for those who are engaged
>>in electoral politics? An OSU student (a member of the OSU chapter
>>of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, among other things),
>>who did a great job prodding the OSU Undergraduate Student
>>Government to pass an anti-war resolution, has organized a local
>>group called Students for Dennis, but so far he has been able to
>>get few students excited about the Kucinich campaign. Sharpton and
>>Kucinich will not get anywhere in the Democratic Party. As for the
>>Greens, you wrote in LBO#103, "The theory of his [Nader's]
>>candidacy...was that it was part of the effort to build the Green
>>Party, and an alternative political movement larger than electoral
>>politics. Little of this has happened. Though there are some
>>bright spots here and there, the Green Party is mostly an
>>embarrassment, having failed even to keep ballot status in New York
>>and nominated a ludicrous candidate in the Minnesota Senate race."
>>The Labor Party has been a dud. 2004 -- a lost year for activists,
>>except some extra opportunities for protests?
>
>Liza's doing a piece for The Nation on what the kids are up to,
>electoral-politics-wise, so I'll defer to her on this. I'll just say
>that it looks like Dean's the one - even some Greens are pushing
>him. What that means, I dunno. I may be deluded, but it seems urgent
>to me to get rid of Bush before anything half-decent can happen.
>
>Doug

If it's Dean, we can count on four more years of Bush & Co. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>