[lbo-talk] 2004 -- a lost year?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun May 18 10:07:52 PDT 2003

Basically, there are only two positions on this issue:

Lesser evil: any Democrat would be better than Bush

Perfectionist: any radical (none of whom stands a chance of being elected) would be better than either any Democrat or Bush.

Emotionally, I am always with the perfectionists -- it's a great dream to imagine that all of this capitalist crap is swept away and life is sweet all over. But in the meantime, sitting out the election risks 4 more years of W, which seems to me too much of a nightmare to stomach. I'm not a great expert on the mechanics of electoral politics, but given how close 2000 was, a couple of "red" states turning "blue" (which a decent Democratic candidate might accomplish) would throw that sucker out of there, and that's the most important thing to focus on right now, it seems to me.

But this is an eternal argument.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org _____________________________ Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx