[lbo-talk] 2004 -- a lost year?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 19 06:50:00 PDT 2003

At 1:07 PM -0400 5/18/03, Jon Johanning wrote:
>Basically, there are only two positions on this issue:
>
>Lesser evil: any Democrat would be better than Bush
>
>Perfectionist: any radical (none of whom stands a chance of being
>elected) would be better than either any Democrat or Bush.

There is another way of looking at the question of electoral politics. We can ask, what sort of electoral campaign in tandem with activism in other political arenas might help at least one hundredth of Americans get organized, one tenth mobilized, and create a solid institutional presence on the left?

***** Poll finds about half of Americans believe Bush overestimated Iraqi weapons Tuesday, May 13, 2003

(05-13) 18:38 PDT WASHINGTON (AP)...56 percent said the war will have been worth it if weapons of mass destruction are never found, while 38 percent said it would not have been worth it.

Similarly, 56 percent said the war would have been worth it even if Saddam Hussein is never captured or killed, while 37 percent say it would not have been worth it....

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/05/13/national2138EDT0839.DTL> *****

You see, there's a viable constituency here -- 37-38% of strong-willed Americans who have refused to capitulate to propaganda onslaughts. They would want someone other than Lieberman and Gephardt. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>