[lbo-talk] A Green Would Like Some Advice/Comments

chuck at hvgreens.org chuck at hvgreens.org
Sun May 18 18:48:24 PDT 2003

Thanks for the comments. I did not get into the specifics of why I came up with the proposals because I wanted to see people's reaction to just the proposals. The proposal to raise the state individual income tax on the top 5% was intentionally coupled with a reduction in the state sales tax from 6% to 5% so that 95% of the households in the state would get a tax cut (the average household would save ~$132/year), not increase. I expect the right to come back with the usual empty economic blackmail threats; that is, it will cost jobs and businesses will flee the state. Of course, that's a bunch of crap, since most of the jobs are service sector jobs that can't leave and still do business in the state. Secondly, the business that flees will be leaving a good market to its competitor who, of course, will need to add staff to handle the increased influx of business. My hope is that it will come down to the fact that 95% of households get a cut and that the hysterical comments from the right can therefor be drounded out.

Chuck