[lbo-talk] Forward selling of the dollar

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue May 20 10:51:53 PDT 2003

My morning FT says that if foreigners hedge their positions by selling the dollar forward it "runs the risk of creating a vicious cycle." I'm trying to figure out how. I see how if everyone sells forward, the forward price drops. But I'm not sure I see how that causes the actual currency to drop. I mean, sometimes people are wrong and they lose money. And hedgees are presumably happy either way since it's supposed to balance something else out.

I can imagine how the dollar could theoretically be driven down if people were massively selling the currency short -- if they were taking short term loans in dollars and exchanging them for Euros with the intention of paying them back in cheaper dollars when the Euro fell. If enough people did that, then it would cause the dollar to fall in a way that would make them all money. But (aside from the cases of speculators getting burned in the past doing this) I don't think that's got anything to do with selling a forward contract on the currency, does it? Or am I missing a crucial link?

Michael