[lbo-talk] Hedges Booed For AntiWar Speech At Rockford College Graduation

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 10:52:12 PDT 2003

This is a fascinating story.

-
> From the title, *Speaker disrupts RC graduation* to
select quotes such as:

*Two days later, graduates and family members, envisioning a *go out and make your mark* send-off, are still reeling. *

and

*His microphone was unplugged within three minutes.*

We are presented with a distinct image: the unpatriotic outsider whose ideas are so horrific that it feels like a form of violence to hear them.

There was, it seems, a lot of histrionics that day.

It's tempting (very!) to dismiss the graduates and their families as rubes. This is what some sophisticates do.

But it would probably be more useful to examine the deep dream of American righteousness they're living each waking moment.

It is this dream, at least as much as any organized propaganda, which those of us with disturbing questions (though not always, let's be honest, answers) confront.

Can dreams be dispersed, like aging perfume, through the application of information? Or will we just twist and shout our way to some final collapse?