[lbo-talk] Re: Reality Reloaded

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue May 20 23:20:09 PDT 2003

(D) the film ends with several open-ended questions regarding what Neo can and will do with his realization that his mode of resistance was programmed, what the other denizens of Zion will do about their conflict with Neo and his followers, what Morpheus will do with his doubt about Neo and the necessity of the One, and what Trinity will do about her internal conflict.

The above plot probably wouldn't have worked in reality, though, as it assumes that Keanu Reeves can act. :-> Yoshie

Much better.

No. It can work. Consider marginalizing Reeves. First of course I agree he can't act. Second everybody else is better, third Fishburne is much more compelling as a lead. So make the larger sweep of the plot turn on the internal conflict within Morpheus (acted as argument and conflict with Trinity) as they both realize his creation, namely Neo as the One, was the underlying premise that gave birth to the machine world domination in the first place. Morpheus and Trinity come to this realization as they watch Neo defeat too many Agent Smiths and Sentinels. Neo might be a machine world organic replicant that has been created intentionally to divert Morpheus and seduce Trinity---the two naturally born threats to the Matrix. The dramatic movement with its conflicts then shifts to the question Morpheus and Trinity have to ask themselves. Is redeeming Neo and the millions like him (all the clone children of the machine world) the way to liberate humanity from its bondage and re-establish human habitation on earth? The answer might be yes, or it might be no.

I still think we could get Ari Fleischer with a wig and dark glasses to do a cameo as Agent Smith's deputy replicant. How about some ego maniac neocon dressed up like Tom Wolfe for the next Architect delivering pseudo-philosophy a la Strauss? Neo reaches into his chest to rip out his heart, but mon deux, there is no heart!

Chuck Grimes