[lbo-talk] Rabbi Arik Asherman of Rabbis for Human Rights and members of the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions questioned by Shabak

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Fri May 23 10:48:35 PDT 2003

Dear Members and Supporters,

I just returned from a GSS(Shabak) interogation. The GSS is currently calling in members of the Israeli Committee Against Home Demolitions to ask questions about the activities of ICAHD and warn us that the Attorney-General has determined that rebuilding demolished homes in Jerusalem is illegal. (The refused to give us the decision in writing, but we will try to obtain it.) This along with the systematic use of "Closed Military Area" orders, etc., indicates that the Israeli government is not content to shut down the activities of foreign activists (CPTer Greg Rollins was returned from the airport last night as the government backed down from its intent to deport him before responding to the High Court's demand that the government explain its decision.) but intends to shut down the activities of Israeli organizations as well. The intent is not only to stop activities which can be seen as "illegal," but to also prevent humanitarian activities, the work of Taayush to accompany children to school, etc. Ultimately, it may be that the goal is to prevent any "seeing eye." witnessing what is happening in the Occupied Territories.

We need to collectively decide on a strategy to stop this dangerous trend. I know that I personally left the interogation with a strong urge to rebuild homes.

B'Vrakha, Arik Rabbis For Human Rights 02-563-7731 050-607034