[lbo-talk] America: Too Delusional To Be An Effective Hegemon?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 11:05:42 PDT 2003

Professional wrestlers describe someone who believes their own hype as being 'a mark for themselves.'

The phrase comes from the carny world I'm told (the source for much of pro wrestling's techniques and beliefs) in which customers are divided into two groups: marks, who believe the games are fair and the fantastic claims true, and smarts, who just enjoy the spectacle for campy fun but are never fooled.

It appears that the imperial dreams of the neo-cons we've grown so familiar with are hemmed in by America's iron solid belief in its own hype. Washington is far too much a mark for itself to be an effective hegemon long term along the lines of say, 'art, empire, industry' age Britain or the 'peace and order via the sword' Romans. These were murderous enterprises to be sure but invigorated, in a dark way, by organizing principles beyond shopping and living in immense houses far from urban centers.

Which brings me to the article found at the link below in The Black Commentator,

http://www.blackcommentator.com/43/43_cover.html

The idea of America as a mark for its own delusions - and the limits this will place upon hegemonic ambitions - is developed nicely. Some may be put off by the assertion of continuing supremacist racism as the source for much of the executed and planned aggression we're seeing.

Nevertheless I recommend giving this piece a careful reading.