[lbo-talk] Re:Weird rich people question

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 23 10:01:31 PDT 2003

> Nothing unusual though. The young always seem to adopt the
> fashion of the
> disenfranchised. My little sister went to a very exclusive
> private school
> in LA (with Cary Grant's daughter) and in the late seventies-early
> eighties, the fashion du jour was to dress up like homeless
> "bag" people.
> My parents were horrified. They had predicted that she would
> "turn her nose
> up at them" if she went to this hoity toity school and
> instead she was
> dressing like a bum. They could not figure it out.
>
> Joanna

Actually, it is a rather simple logic of distancing onseself from the social class right below one's own, with which one can be mistakenly identified. Thus, the noveau riche distance themselves from the lower class of their origin by aping golden opulence and engaging in conspicuous consumption which theier old classmates cannot afford. The old rich, by contrast, distance themselves from the noveau riche by embracing the insignia of the class from which the noveu riche try to distance itself. Examples may include dressing down, espousing a communist world view (as some British aristorcats did), conspicuous consumption of tasteless (but expensive) organic food, quackery (aka "alternative medicine"), pickup trucks, etc.

Wojtek