[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 23 10:58:52 PDT 2003

At 1:17 PM -0400 5/23/03, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>I do not undestand it. If they were REALLY interested in getting
>elected, they would do it the way every normal person in this
>country would - by building their local base by being elected to
>local and state legislature, then perhaps governorship, then
>congress or senate, etc.

It is said that "[a]t least 174 Greens in 24 states hold elected office as of May 2003" in the United States (Cf. <http://www.feinstein.org/greenparty/electeds.html>) -- mainly at the level of city councils and school boards, it seems. You can access the Green election results from 1985 till 2002 at <http://greens.org/elections/>. At this rate of bottom-up progress, we may speculate that the party will not be in a position to become a serious contender for presidency until well into the next century -- if we believe in a gradualist theory of incremental changes.

However, political parties, like natural organisms, may evolve in a fashion described by a theory of punctuated equilibrium. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://solidarity.igc.org/>