[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 23 11:46:26 PDT 2003

Yoshie:
> It is said that "[a]t least 174 Greens in 24 states hold elected
> office as of May 2003" in the United States (Cf.
> <http://www.feinstein.org/greenparty/electeds.html>) -- mainly at the
> level of city councils and school boards, it seems. You can access
> the Green election results from 1985 till 2002 at
> <http://greens.org/elections/>. At this rate of bottom-up progress,
> we may speculate that the party will not be in a position to become a
> serious contender for presidency until well into the next century --
> if we believe in a gradualist theory of incremental changes.

There is something in between gradualism and immaculate conception. For example, strategic allocation of resources to capture governorship in a state or two. Seems like a better strategy than running a presidential candidate, which - as a saying from my old country goes - is like attacking the sun with a hoe.

Wojtek