[lbo-talk] Re: glabalization

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at sun.com
Fri May 23 20:28:17 PDT 2003

At 07:53 PM 05/23/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>By contrast, globalization is about technology, the
>market, tourism, and information.

idiot!

>Globalization
>appears to be irreversible whereas universalization is
>likely to be on its way out.

more idiocy!

>At least, it appears to
>be retreating as a value system which developed in the
>context of Western modernity and was unmatched by any
>other culture.

Chauvinist! I'd say the Romans could well match the 18th century for "universalisms" : See "what did the Romans ever do for us" skit in Life of Brian.

>Any culture that becomes universal
>loses its singularity and dies.

So what if many of its practices become universal reality, like say, arabic numerals.

>That's what happened to all those cultures we
>destroyed by forcefully assimilating them. But it is
>also true of our own culture, despite its claim of
>being universally valid.

You know, I thought he was going to say something half-way interesting about enlightenment universals vs globalization universals. NOT!

> The only difference is that
>other cultures died because of their singularity,
>which is a beautiful death.

Oh God!!!

>We are dying because we
>are losing our own singularity and exterminating all
>our values. And this is a much more ugly death.
>[......]

Blather....blather....blather.

Joanna