[lbo-talk] tATu on TV in OZ.....

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Sat May 24 08:06:47 PDT 2003

On 24/5/2003 10:48 PM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> God do I love those girls:
> http://www.lifestyle.ru/index.htm?obj=37090&sid=8999673501151962504207327
>
> I have a hard time imagining how they are interpreted in the West. Their
> image is constructed for a Russian audience. Those are Russian-syle, Young
> Pioneer-ish schoolgirl outfits.

The wrap up on SBS World News, which is supposed to be a very serious news channel, was that their lesbian act was a gimmick that might scandalise the Eurovision Song Contest. I nearly pissed myself laughing. Presumably for a surreal effect, SBS tied this in at the end of a piece on how Russians in Latvia are feeling themselves to be a minority and are organising protests. I thought the story had a distinctive 'boot in the other foot' spin, which was very misplaced and anachronistic. After something like that you don't really hope for any kind of hermeneutics of their fashion statements... SBS is the highbrow end of the TV spectrum. The rest seem to have digested Tatu as horny little things men can fantasise about. They could have come from the Russia, Italy, Wangarata, Burke or the Moon - teenage lesbian popstars need no passport for People magazine...

Thiago