[lbo-talk] Baudrillard: The Violence Of The Global

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 08:24:53 PDT 2003

Baudrillard has not hired me as his publicist (I wonder how lucrative a job that would be?) so I won't defend his ideas at length.

Nevertheless, I believe that the core assertion of the essay (making allowances for the fact it's a translation): that modern forms of trans-national terrorism are, contrary to the assumption of many, a part of and not outside of the system of globalization is not without merit.

Is he an idiot, as Joanna says? I don't know.

Is he the George Gilder of post modern academics?

Whatever flaws may exist in Baudrillard's work, I don't believe that he compares accurately to Mr. Gilder who, after visiting one fiber optic firm in the mid nineties, wrote a breathless prediction of a fiber optic nirvana.

I don't know enough about the Merovingian reference to comment.

D.