[lbo-talk] We're on the Road (Map) to Nowhere

Bryan Atinsky bryan at indymedia.org.il
Sun May 25 23:21:46 PDT 2003

Limor Livnat of Likud: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=296836

"In fact," said Limor Livnat, "the government did not accept the road map at all."

The ministers chose to play tactics: they explained they could afford to abstain thanks to the 14 reservations attached to the resolution, that they did not want to create a rift with the U.S., that they were concerned about Israel's ailing economy.

and

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/297087.html Livnat also proposed that the government's formal acceptance of the road map be subject to several conditions. Livnat's proposal stipulated that "Israel agrees to accept the steps defined in the map, but states that there will be no compromise on the right of return, there will be no withdrawal to the 1967 borders, there will be no concession on Jerusalem, and there will be no agreement on a Palestinian state before the bases of terror are completely uprooted."

Landau, a minister in the Prime Minister's Office and former public security minister, had been more unequivocally opposed to the road map, calling it a "recipe for terror."

Minister Gideon Ezra said before the cabinet meeting that he shared Landau's concerns, but would still vote in favor of the plan. Ezra explained that the plan presents an opportunity to further ostracize Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat and wage war on terrorism. If the Palestinians fail to fight terror, as Landau warns, the deal will be off, Ezra said.

Plus...I heard Ultra right-wing cabinet minister MK Binyamin (Beni) Elon, who is a member of Moledet and Ihud ha-Leumi (national Union) and Minister of Tourism, say on BBC yesterday that though he voted against the Road Map, he isn't so worried about its implementation, because Israel will not implement any of its provisions until there is first (paraphrase but close to what he said): "Complete and utter quiet on the side of the Palestinians, and I am sure that there will never be complete quiet. The only thing I am concerned about is that it will end like Oslo, with really high expectations and very low results, ending with lots of bloodshed..." (something like that).

He didn't say an end to violence, he said quiet, and I am sure a 'lack of quiet" includes even any peaceful Palestinian protest or child rock throwing incident...plus, if there are any "dangerous" lulls in the violence and Israel begins to get worried that they may have to implement something, all the gov has to do is assasinate some high placed Hamas or Islamic Jihad activist (obviously in self defence against an impending attack on Israeli civilians) and a retaliation won't be far on the horizon. (for an article on Israel's use of this tactic last year: http://indymedia.org.il/imc/webcast/33637.html)