[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Wed May 28 10:31:42 PDT 2003

This reads like a lost page from One Market Under God.

-- Shane

Caught this via MaxSpeak:

May 24, 2003 New York Times BUSINESS

Love the Worker, Not the Union, a Store Says as Some Organize By AARON NATHANS

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/24/business/24WHOL.html

MADISON, Wis., May 23 — In just 23 years, Whole Foods Market has grown from a single store in Austin, Tex., to the largest natural foods chain in the nation. It is widely praised for its folksy style and high-quality goods, offering more than 20 kinds of granola, well-stocked wine shelves, attentive service and a hearty bow to Mother Earth.

John Mackey, the chairman and chief executive, founded the company on the principles of open communication and empowered employees. Whole Foods workers here have found, however, that the principles do not include embracing labor unions.

[....]

In a written statement, Michael Duffield, a company spokesman, said that Whole Foods fosters "a decentralized, nonbureaucratic environment, and this ability to be fast and flexible is a large part of our success."

"Work environments dominated by unionization are not often characterized in this way," Mr. Duffield added, "and that is why John Mackey, and Whole Foods Market, does not believe that representation by a union is in the best interests of team members" — the company's term for employees. Mr. Mackey declined to comment.

[....]

When Madison employees voted 65 to 54 in July to organize, Whole Foods executives appeared crestfallen.

In a memo to employees several days later, Mr. Mackey called the vote "a very sad chapter in the history of Whole Foods Market."

"Madison made a mistake in their choice. It may take time for them to realize it, but I believe that they eventually will. We all make many mistakes in life. It is all part of our growth process because that is how we learn, that is how we grow," Mr. Mackey wrote. "When confronted by great stress in life, we have but only 2 choices: 1. Contract into fear. 2. Expand into love."

[....]

"It's just kind of goofy, to be real frank with you," said Chris Sauter, the Local 400 organizing director in Maryland. "It's, `Look, we want you to be a part of it, we want you to have some part to play in the decision-making process, take ownership of the store.' Yet when it comes to really getting a say and participating in collective bargaining, they fight it tooth and nail."

[....]

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!