[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 28 13:23:20 PDT 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Whole Foods is now one of the top organizing targets by the UFCW, yes
>grouped explicitly with Wal-Mart as one of the worst companies in the
>industry.
>
>Folks bash the union leadership on this list a lot, but then they often
>don't even engage in the basic solidarity of supporting organizing
>campaigns. General boycotts may not be particularly useful, but avoiding
>companies actively being organized and engaging in union-busting tactics
>seems the most minimal solidarity called for by leftists.

Nathan, no one "bashes" the union leadership here. It's criticism, which is not personal nor is it unwarranted. You make it sound arbitrary or sporting. There are plenty of structural, historical, and ideological reason why U.S. unions are the way they are; it has nothing to do with the personal characters of union officers. And it's only Woj who was willing to overlook WF's antiunion behavior because they're the retailing equivalent of NPR. I suspect if you put it to a vote, you'd get over 90% support for the organizing campaign.

Doug