[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 29 07:33:55 PDT 2003

> I would shop at Giant over Whole Foods, but I have different choices,
> like my corner IGA which is very neighborhood friendly.
>
> Chuck0

There are two problems with that. First I recently saw a memo by Giant management districbuted to its workers which contained a rabid anti-union lies and discouraging them from joining a union (I still should have a copy). Giant refuses to open their stores in inner city, where I live. There is boatload of Giant stores in suburban MD and PA, there is even one in an afluent lilly white part of Baltimore, but nothing in the city. Safeway and Whole Foods, otoh, opened their stores in Baltimore downtown area, not exaclty in the "hood" but close. Since I got rid of my car and use public transit which is not very good in Baltimore, store location is of primary importance. Whole Foods is located within a walking distance from where I live. And the yuppie crap? I prefer that to Murdoch's tabloids prominently displayed in cashier lanes in every supermarket. They also sell a lot of European imports and I love helping the European economy.

Wojtek