[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu May 29 10:35:58 PDT 2003

Kelley:

> Both of these are closer to you than Whole Foods

If Da Net says so, my walking experience of Baltimore does not matter very much, I suppose. The Whole Foods to which I walk is located in the1100 block of Fleet st, a ten minute walk from where I live (1400 block of Baltimore st.) - but I must be dreaming it up.

More seriously, I know the "organic foods" stores in Baltimore - and these are small operations selling tofu products, vitamins, yoga classes etc. - but they are NOT cooperatively owned grocery stores, as those that I know from, say, the People's Republic of Cambridge i.e. containg a full line of groceries, like bread, milk, produce, meat & poultry etc. To de-Americanize my life, I got rid of tee-vee and car, and I shop for groceries daily by walking to a neighborhood store - as most Europeans (and New Yorkers) do - and the neighborhood Whole Foods store fits that pattern very well.

What is more, baltimore is avery different place than say Berkely. I would not like chains moving in to Berkeley, but I appreciate it very much when they move to inner Baltimore city. They provide a healthy alternative to filthy ghetto stores for folks who do have th emeans of transportation to shop (or work) in suburb.

Wojtek