[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu May 29 12:19:27 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
> Indeed, in an urban setting, direct votes on everything would be
unworkable,
> and not particularly helpful. I've no interest or expertise in where the
> next sewer line should go, and will happily leave those decisions to those
> who know and care about such things.

-Isn't the idea that people in the fields or professions of their choosing or -training would, in a true libertarian society, be the ones to debate and -discuss and decide where the next sewer line would go? or power line? or -method of collecting garbage, etc? In other words, We the People wouldn't -vote on each and every thing -- that would be broken down along lines of -expertise.

What a terrible technocratic view of democracy. Ugg. Sure, such experts should be given some real free play, but the workers who health depend on the sewer line deserve some real say in where such lines go, not just leave it up to technocratic aesthetics. I like representative systems where the experts are restrained by periodic review by dumb-shit political representatives who need it all explained in small words. It keeps technocracy from running too much amok.

-- Nathan Newman