[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu May 29 13:23:54 PDT 2003

"Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at attbi.com> said on Thu, 29 May 2003 11:57:24 -0700

Quoting Bob Morris

> and not particularly helpful. I've no interest or expertise in where the> next sewer line should go, and will happily leave those decisions to those who know and care about such things.

Ian replied

> And when the next sewer line or street rerouting entails your business or residence being relocated........The selective indifference problem is a pisser.

Two halves of a serious dilemma. And I think the answer is mixture of direct democracy, delegation, and representation - so that key decisions are made via direct democracy, and the rest are made by somebody ultimately answerable to the people, and more to the point make the same decisions that would have been made by direct democracy if everyone had the time and expertise.

I could outline this in some detail, but i doubt it would be of interest...