[lbo-talk] Green Party 2004

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu May 29 13:35:06 PDT 2003

> I find it, howver, scary when self-righteous, ignorant masses disregard
> experts and elect their political representatives through idiotic
> popularity contests. You certainly would want the doctor who operates
> on you or the pilot in the cockpit of your plane to be appointed to ther
> positions by testing of their expertise rather than elected by a
> popularity contest.

> Wojtek

Didn't this happen during the Maoist Cultural Rev of the mid-60s? Weren't "bourgeois" doctors and others of the "parasitic" class removed from their positions by Red Guards based on ideology rather than their professional ability? I know this was dramatized in the film "To Live" (a real fav among Maoists, I'm sure), but how often did it happen in reality? Thomas Seay? Anyone?

DP