[lbo-talk] Profiles In Spinelessness

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu May 29 13:47:33 PDT 2003

Quoting Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>:

> I'm coming around to Nathan's argument that "progressives" should run
> in Dem primaries and in general try to hijack the party, just as the
> right did with the Republicans. What's to lose? The Greens seem more
> & more like a doomed fantasy.

The US *does* need a Green Party, or something like it, to push the Dems to the left and agitate for a 20th century welfare state and a 21st century electoral system. But no political party is going to change much without an active, feisty labor movement. The strength of the Euroleft is based on the might of the Euro-unions.

-- DRR