[lbo-talk] Profiles In Spinelessness

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu May 29 17:32:54 PDT 2003

i quite agree. there's a strong need for a third party on what americans mistakenly tern "the left." the question is: is the american people so politically ignorant, propagandized, and ignorant about history that no third party will ever have a chance. a third party that's not built on the grass roots will fail just as the greens are failing.

interesting sidelight: i volunteered to work with the greens about 12 years ago. the woman i spoke with regarding the party was all excited about a recent visit from the german greens. but chagrined that the german greens said the US greens were a waste of time until they got organized and developed grass roots support. the germans weren't going to get involved with the US greens until they showed some promise.

the US greens have improved somewhat, but still lack organization and support needed to make a difference.

as DRR says, the might of the left wing in europe is built on union activism and support. in the US, almost all unions are busted and ineffectual. so much for the US left until it learns how to mobilize grass roots, working class activism to compliment its currently white middle class dominated, largely inadequate activism.