[lbo-talk] On saving Private Lynch......

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 29 23:01:55 PDT 2003

All: “Saving Jessica Lynch: the Reality,” according to the TORONTO STAR:

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1051643375850

While numerous sources cast doubt on the Pentagon’s “Saving Private Ryan” movie, the fact is that millions of people heard the government line over our tightly controlled mass media and many of them believed the stories of her barbarous treatment at the hands of sadistic Iraqi doctors. Meanwhile the U.S. Army keeps Jessica incommunicado and released a story saying she has amnesia.

Could this be the same media that failed to report on Bush’s DUI conviction and that failed to analyze the “missing years” of his life or his desertion from the Air National Guard? The same media also failed to report on the massive voter fraud in Florida, (where his little brudder was gov and his Florida Campaign Manager was Secretary of State). Gore won the popular vote anyway, and the election was given by the Supreme Court to the Electoral College when the Court ruled, on the basis of the Voting Rights Act (Civil Rights Act of 1964), that Florida couldn’t recount the votes in the contested counties.

Recently the same media corporations slavishly showed Bush landing on the carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and carried the lie that the carrier was too far out to sea for George II to take a helicopter, even though the skyline of San Diego was clearly visible to reporters on the deck and the ship had to veer westward to get the buildings out of camera range. The corporate media carried thousands of stories of Iraq’s chemical and biological weapons, nuclear program and support for terrorists and never bothered to report that those stories were untrue. One counter view is below:

http://www.southernstudies.org/reports/031903MasriKrommFactSheet.pdf

Now that same corporations want to remove the last vestige of regulation through the good offices of the fox that sold the chicken coop, Michael (“the Free Market is my Religion”) Powell, son of the Secretary of State. Early next week the FCC will decide on dropping most regulations on the same media corporations that lied about George II during the campaign while contributing millions to that same campaign! Meanwhile, the same corporations continue to give George II millions of dollars worth of free advertising during his war and occupation of Iraq, and are licking their corporate lips at all the money he is raising to spend on their airways in the next campaign.

http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=15068&CFID=7545781&CFTOKEN=32562242

What to Do? Support indy media, spread the word far and wide that this might be they year before the Reichstag fire, or New Year’s Eve on a belated 1984, or the year before the next fixed election. Get visas to far away countries? Duck and cover under the tidal wave of reaction? Organize meetings with friends and coworkers? The future’s here, we are it, we’re on our own.

ps: if you forward the url’s above, please leave off all the cc’s so as not to spread spam onto your friends…

===== ***************************************************************** Those who take the most from the table, teach contentment. Those for whom the taxes are destined, demand sacrifice. Those who eat their fill, speak to the hungry, of wonderful times to come. Those who lead the country into the abyss, call ruling difficult, for ordinary folk. -- Bertolt Brecht http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal