[lbo-talk] decentralization, Whole Foods style

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri May 30 10:27:14 PDT 2003

Kelley:
> finally, the complaint--at least as shane initially advanced
> it--was the
> sad, but altogether mundane and ordinary, failure of people
> whose ideology
> enables them to see the "wholeness" and "connection" between
> dolphins,
> spotted owls, coffee bean farmers, the rainforest and their
> consumption
> habits and be willing to PAY MORE to ensure that they're
> treating the earth
> and themselves well and not, in turn, be able to see the
> connection between
> the people who mix up their soy-milk and raw cane sugar
> frappes and bag
> their organic tofu and themselves and, therefore, be willing
> to PAY MORE to
> ensure that workers get a living wage--the same kind of
> living wage that
> enables many of the people who shop at places like WF to shop
> there in the
> first fucking place.

I agree and often criticize such new ageism that is disconnected from social and class issues. The reason I spoke favorably of Whole Foods is not because of their greenish ideology but because of their role in urban renewal in Baltimore - seem my posting in this thread.

Also I did not mean to make any implications about your preferences (or lack thereof) for homey small-is-beautiful experiences. I simply do not know you well enough to make such a judgment. However, I have seen such prefrences in many people I've met (most of them with left- or liberal leanings). My critique was general, not personal.

Wojtek