RES: [lbo-talk] Re: invasion of the body counters

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 04:05:11 PDT 2003

Alexandre cites:

It seems to the present author more likely that Stalin simply did not care about mass deaths and was more interested in the balance of payments (which required grain exports) and the industrialisation programme. Just as the British government in 1943 was more interested in the war effort than in saving the life of Bengalis, so the Soviet government in 1931-33 was more interested in industrialisation than in saving the life of peasants or nomads. --- I think that just about sums Stalin up. I stand by my Peter the Great comparison.

I think if Stalin were alive today, he would say something like, "Shut up with your silly moralistic quibbling. I did what I had to do. I built a unique world civilization in 20 years. How many people died in your coal mines? Why don't we hear about them?"

And no, I am not justifying Stalin (or Peter). But the deaths didn't happen just because Stalin Was Evil.

_________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963