[lbo-talk] Hitchens inches toward saying he was wrong

Thiago Oppermann thiago_oppermann at bigpond.com
Sat May 31 09:20:44 PDT 2003

On 1/6/2003 2:11 AM, "lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org" <lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org> wrote:

> Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> He's churlish and begrudging about it, but still: Bremer's Kissinger
>> connection seems to have unnerved him:
>>
>> http://slate.msn.com/id/2083643/
>
> Wow. That's not a very coherent piece of writing. He's no longer
> making much sense. What's his brand identity now that he's no longer
> a renegade leftist?
>
> Doug

Well, he'd gone on a bender and woken up next to quite a beast. Soon he'll have to face the mirror. Not knowing the guy, but having known some evil benders, my guess is that he'll avoid any kind of close inspection and reach for the nearest booze.

I just cannot see what would happen to a person, psychologically, if she or he came to think as Hitchens did in 1991 after having been Hitchens in 2003. Could anyone come up with a worse nightmare? I'd rather wake up in a ditch married to my cousin.

Thiago