[lbo-talk] MN: Repugs beginning to worry Iraq will be bad for them

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 11:41:49 PDT 2003

Sergio wrote:

> …I believe during Vietnam the vast majority
>supported the war, and until the Tet offense had a
>belief that it would be over quickly (light at the
>end of the tunnel, etc.) It seems that the
>credibiltiy gap was a result of the average (white
>male) USer losing faith in the ability of their
>leaders to win this war.

“Apocalypse Now” is on the television screen as I type this…a mildly spooky coincidence.

The differences between the Vietnam era and the present are many and varied. And, as Sergio points out, only the shock of the Tet offensive convinced the majority of Americans – both amongst the elite as well as us groundlings – that, as Chomsky once wrote “the book wasn’t worth the candle.”

The essential faith in American good intentions remained unchallenged for many though.

The information space – both pro and con unilateralism in general and War Plan Iraq specifically – is much more sophisticated now than during the 60’s/70’s and so both those who agree and those who disagree with the neo-con agenda can find cleverly written and produced material to support their beliefs.

Even so, a Tet offensive (several in fact) lies in wait for the present administration. A comprehensive review of events in Afghanistan and Iraq shows the development of guerilla movements. The Taleban are resurgent and Iraqis are killing GIs at the rate of one a day.

The tipping point will come when the news from both these fronts is so relentlessly bad, and the endless, grinding nature of the occupations becomes clear to all but the most thick headed of us.

When this happens, the ranks of true believers will shrink and the Repubs and the quivering Dems will find themselves facing some angry folks.