[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Nov 2 17:32:37 PST 2003

> The conclusion of Deborah Solomon's obnoxious interview with Noam
> Chomsky in today's NYT Mag

Obnoxious? Yes. Also shockingly stupid...

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/magazine/02QUESTIONS.html>:
>
> >[Q] Have you considered leaving the United States permanently?
> >
> >[A] No. This is the best country in the world.

Almost everything Chomsky said in the interview sounded just right... but how can Chomsky, given what he believes about the US, sincerely claim that he thinks it's "the best country in the world"? (Even I don't believe that, and I think a lot more of the US than Chomsky does.)

-- Luke