[lbo-talk] Guardian commentary by Tariq Ali : It ill behoves western commentators....

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 19:49:38 PST 2003

Stephen E Philion posted (quoting Tariq Ali):

Nor does it behove western commentators whose countries are occupying Iraq to lay down conditions for those opposing it. It is an ugly occupation, and this determines the response.

According to Iraqi opposition sources, there are more than 40 different resistance organisations. They consist of Ba'athists, dissident communists, disgusted by the treachery of the Iraqi Communist party in backing the occupation, nationalists, groups of Iraqi soldiers and officers disbanded by the occupation, and Sunni and Shia religious groups.

Here is the heart of the matter as regards resistance.

I have read the words of people, some written by those passionately opposed to this occupation, who insist, for some odd reason that only 'jihadis', domestic or imported, are responsible for insurgency.

I do not understand this way of thinking.

As Mr. Ali says, there are indeed foreign fighters throughout the country and they're wearing the uniforms of 'the coalition'. They are knocking down doors and detaining families, shouting 'shut the fuck up' at frightened people who can't understand them, shooting indiscriminately when under fire and only God and Centcom know what other crimes.

Under these conditions, resistance is the natural result. The complexity of the resistance causes many of us to experience dizziness and headaches. It's too much for pre-conceptions so we filter out the many colors and choose one that pleases our aesthetic sense.

Sorting out what's best course given the terrain the Busheviks have created (which will outlast them), even with the guidance of Iraqis who have a clear idea of the moves beyond occupation, will require serious thought and action. It will not be a task for the simple minded - liberal or conservative, progressive or reactionary.

DRM