[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Mon Nov 3 07:12:27 PST 2003

At 09:51 AM 11/3/03 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Dennis Perrin wrote:
>
>>Actually, Chomsky's been pretty consistent over the years, in both his
>>written and oral output, about the many positive feelings he has about the
>>US, and there are many positive things about the US that -- surprise! --
>>progressive forces have had a hand in creating.
>>
>>I don't think he's looking for rightwing converts. I think that's the way he
>>really feels.
>
>I think I've said before that one of the first times I ever talked to
>Noam, maybe 10-12 years ago, I said something positive about Germany, and
>he replied, "Germany? Have you ever seen how small their houses are?"

in the five years i've been around, about once a year. :)

>It's fine with me to find good things about U.S. life and culture. I do
>myself, and I've taken some shit here for it. But the "best country in the
>world"? What does that mean? Noam himself is one of the great chroniclers
>of its crimes - should that enter into some accounting of good and bad? We
>have mass poverty, immature politics, an often idiotic public culture.
>Calling in the "best" should be something for know-nothings, not
>well-educated cosmopolitans.

maybe because he takes seriously the distinction between nation and country? i agree that "best" is problematic, but why conflate country and nation?

at Chuck0's infoshop: PATRIOTISM, n. 1) The inability to distinguish between the government and one's "country";

http://www.infoshop.org/nightwatch.html