[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world"

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Mon Nov 3 08:20:19 PST 2003

He makes a similar statement in the introduction to the _Chomsky Reader_, doesn't he?

I recall reading him making a similar statement in an interview published in _Film Threat_ or some other magazine devoted to independent film (I know that seems nuts, but I think the same interview must have appeared somewhere else first, and the article recycled for the release of the _Manufacturing Consent_ documentary on VHS.) He expanded on the statement by claiming that there was no where else in the world that he could conduct his research and speak as freely as he can here: he felt the formal and actual freedom of expression in the US couldn't be beat. When the interviewer brought up other countries, he dismissed her/him; he said that while he had a higher profile in other nations, he found that his criticisms of other nations as complicit in the crimes of the US were generally elided or omitted when his writings appeared elsewhere. He didn't give examples.

FWIW, Curtiss