[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 08:52:20 PST 2003

This question of bad, better, best is always a heated topic and coming from Chomsky, who's written and said so many powerfully critical things about US foreign policy and corporate culture, seems nonsensical.

I will have to search for corroboration of my claims but I believe we can glean the reasoning behind the 'US is best' statement from interviews and careful reading.

It is my understanding (again, corrobroation is, of course, required) that Chomsky's belief in this regard is based upon a few observations about the US's political and social culture.

Among these are:

* Surprisingly wide space (outside of media circles) for dissent and difference.

* Positive cultural and moral evolution of the general population since WW2

* Remarkable cultural malleability and fluidness.

* A well defined (perhaps the most well defined among nations)and enforcable legal framework for protecting the rights of the citizenry.

Please, hold those calls and letters ladies and gentlemen; I am not saying that I believe the US, as it is now, possesses these qualities to a remarkably greater extent than all other nations. It seems however that Prof. Chomsky thinks so, hence the 'best nation' statement.

DRM