[lbo-talk] Chomsky: USA "best country in the world

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 3 09:01:18 PST 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>It is my understanding (again, corrobroation is, of
>course, required) that Chomsky's belief in this regard
>is based upon a few observations about the US's
>political and social culture.
>

>Among these are:
>

>* Surprisingly wide space (outside of media circles)
>for dissent and difference.
>
>* Positive cultural and moral evolution of the general
>population since WW2
>
>* Remarkable cultural malleability and fluidness.

And those are some of the things I like about the U.S. Still, we do have lots of people who don't believe in evolution, so we're not out of the woods yet.

One of the things I like best about the U.S. is our popular culture (and much of the world seems to agree). But I doubt Noam is down with punk or hip-hop.

Doug