[lbo-talk] RE HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT:

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Nov 3 10:38:41 PST 2003

Doug asks: "how important are [Third World dependencies] to profit-making in general?"

I think the answer is: much greater than appears in the economic numbers, which, judged from the vantage point of Peru, Malaysia, Ghana, etc, are quite large anyhow.

Personally, I am convinced that the biggest contribution of undemocratic and inegalitarian maldevelopment (i.e., U.S. imposed normalcy) in the Third World is the suppression of "the threat of a good example." If the Third World were allowed, as Luke Weiger seems to think it is, to produce robust social democracies, how long would G7 (Russia doesn't count) privileges and advantages last?

I also think this interpretation, which Chomsky advocates, is the only one that comports with the actual history of what's happened, and what's continuing to happen. "Despots 'r' U.S." Our corporations' profits depend deeply on the removal of Mossadegh, Ho Chi Minh, Sandinistas, etc., from power.