[lbo-talk] RE HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT:

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 10:49:59 PST 2003

I am not an expert in international economics, but there is a logical point to be made here. Even if exploitation of the third world benefits the first world in various ways, and that explains why the third world is exploited, at least in part, it does not follow that the first world is dependent on that exploitation. By this I mean, that the first world would not be able to continue at more or less the present level of profitability, gowrth, and well-being without that exploitation. Of course that might be true, but this nots hwon by the mere fact of unequal exchange and unfair advantage, or even capital transfersa nd the like. Perhaps without the benefis of such exploitation, the first would would have to find other resources that it might use to maintain its well-being. If such resources existed and could be tapped, then the exploitation of the the thirdworld would not bre necessary for the prosperity of the first world.

One might use the following example for ana nalogy" workers under capitalsim are exploited even if they are not dominated by the rea; division of labor at work, subject to scientific management and the like. Domination at work is certainly functioanl for capitalism because it enhances exploitation. But it is not logically necessary for capitalism, which can pump profits out of workers without it -- may not as well, but enough to reproduce. Likewise the domination of the third world is functional for capitalism and imperialism in the first world, but may not be neceassry for its reproduction or even its flourishing the first world.

Doug, correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that almost all capitalist foreign investment is in other advanced capitalist countries, and not in the third world. Is that so?

jks