[lbo-talk] Re: Serious Question on Question #3

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 3 13:44:16 PST 2003

Dear List:

Liza writes:

> You can disagree with Norman Siegel's position on the Harvey Milk School (I think I do) but it is certainly a
progressive position.

I guess I do not see it as progressive. Putting queer children in harm's way is reactionary at best, lethal at worst. My boyfriend was outed by his teachers both to his school and his parents. This is not the appropriate place for details, but there was much trauma which plagued him for years.

> He is a civil libertarian who thinks that creating a separate space for queer kids lets t\he rest of the school system off the hook, in effect relieves it of the responsibility for battling homophobia in the schools.

It will take years, if not decades, to change the culture of the NYC school system. To me the progressive position would be to advocate for such a change, but at the same time protect today's queer youth who are in danger and do not have time to wait.

> If he's wrong, he's only wrong in that indispensable way the ACLU is sometimes wrong -- because when you apply the same worthy principles to absolutely everything, you make a few mistakes.

I do not believe that he is wrong in an indispensible way. I believe that he is wrong in a obsessive and dangerous way. The application of principle in all cases, no matter what the particular circumstances, is dumb. It is the equivalent of Bush II's "What would Jesus do."

Functionally, Siegel position is no different than that of a right winger: the result of each is to increase the risk of harm to queer youth. That is being progressive?

This is why I struggle over how to vote on Question #3. The system as is allows homophobes to run as liberals/progressives. Non-partisan elections would strip this cloak of respectability from these people. On the other hand, non-partisan elections could be harmful in other possible ways.

Principle 1: opposing homophobic systems. Principle 2: making sure money does not get a greater foothold in the electoral system.

To me being a progressive means having the ability and desire to make nuanced decisions that will benefit the most people and cause the least harm. Siegel's position does palpable harm and only helps homophobes have easier access to their victims.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister