[lbo-talk] Scramble for Africa/HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT:

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:56:08 PST 2003

Some useful (perhaps) info for this thread............

Scramble for Africa

Fear of corruption and chaos in oil rush http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,11319,979053,00.html Charlotte Denny, economics correspondent Tuesday June 17, 2003 The Guardian

Washington's determination to find an alternative energy source to the Middle East is leading to a new oil rush in sub-Saharan Africa which threatens to launch a fresh cycle of conflict, corruption and environmental degradation in the region, campaigners warn today. The new scramble for Africa risks bringing more misery to the continent's impoverished citizens as western oil companies pour billions of dollars in secret payments into government coffers throughout the continent. Much of the money ends up in the hands of ruling elites or is squandered on grandiose projects and the military.

http://www.catholicrelief.org/get_involved/advocacy/policy_and_strategic_issues/oil_report.cfm.cfm

Bottom of the Barrel: Africa's Oil Boom and the Poor

Sub-Saharan Africa is in the midst of an oil boom. Foreign energy companies are pouring billions of dollars into the region for the exploration and production of petroleum. And African governments, in turn, are receiving billions of dollars.

Africa is fast becoming a key supplier of oil to the United States, which already imports 17 percent of its petroleum from sub-Saharan Africa. In a decade, nearly a quarter will come from the region. More than $50 billion-the largest investment in African history-will be spent on African oil fields in the next seven years.

For media inquiries, contact Cecile Sorra at csorra at catholicrelief.org or 410-951-7215. Many outsiders will benefit greatly from Africa's oil boom-oil companies will make large profits and Northern governments and consumers will secure new supplies. But these benefits cannot be at the expense of millions of Africans.