[lbo-talk] HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Nov 4 07:25:34 PST 2003

It's important to understand that he was the opposite of a systematic philosopher (of the sort Marx tried to be, for instance). Everything he writes is an aphorism -- an experiment in thinking, if you will. Some of his experiments succeeded, some flopped spectacularly. And very likely he wasn't completely serious in many of them. That quip you quote about "woman," for instance -- who knows what he was trying to say there? Perhaps he was following in the tradition of German philosophers who weren't too successful with the opposite sex and resented their failure, e.g., Schopenhauer. In any case, offhand remarks like that are not anywhere near the core of his world view.

The "Superman" thing has been frequently misunderstood, especially by English-speaker readers of translations who don't understand what he was trying to say in German. Try reading Walter Kaufmann, for example, to get a better understanding.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org

^^^^^^^ CB: The quips and aphorism form makes sense. Sounds like email list style.

In the past here ( or there), Jim Farmelant and I have noted the Schopenhauer/Nietzsche connection in the apoethesis of power in Schopenhauer and will to power in Nietzsche, which seems a candidate idea closer to the core worldview here. Schopenhauer taught in the same school/college as Hegel and "hated" him. So, there may be an anti-systematic philosopher link too ( since Hegel was such a systematizer). Marx is a descendent of Hegel.

Focus on will is a form of idealist philo, from a Marxist standpoint.

N. is not just the opposite of Marx in form. The anti-popular/elitist content is the exact opposite of Marx, too. In the past here, there was a report of N. cheering the fall of the Paris Commune, which seems an emblematic anecdote in contrasting him with Marx.

Actually, I have a copy of one of Kaufman's , which I have perused. Will Durant discusses Nietzsche , too. Finkelstein analyzes Nietzsche as contradictorily "good and bad", and as expressing,through irrationalism, the alienation and confusion of many, including intellectuals, in the era of the rise and crises of the imperialist phase of capitalism, WWI, "The Wastland" , and all that.

Nowadays, of course, there is google too.

Not to be provocative, but I can't help but think that _maybe_ the Nazis misunderstood the "Superman" thing too, even though they spoke German. I mean the use of the same word causes the thought to pop into one's mind. I'm willing to believe N. meant well, was misunderstood and all, but the anti-masses stuff is ripe for abuse. Lets say he was negligent, reckless even.