[lbo-talk] HOW THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT IS BLOWING IT: REVISITED

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Tue Nov 4 11:05:49 PST 2003

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 10:25 AM, Charles Brown wrote:

> Not to be provocative, but I can't help but think that _maybe_ the
> Nazis
> misunderstood the "Superman" thing too, even though they spoke German.

They didn't misunderstand him so much as mis*use* him, under the influence of his sister, Elisabeth Foerster-Nietzsche, who in turn was under the influence of her husband Foerster, a rabid anti-Semite. Nietzsche was a very popular author among German-speaking youth in the early 20th century, and lots of them unfortunately took Elisabeth as the "authority" on how to understand him.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax