[lbo-talk] Superprofits

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Tue Nov 4 09:55:37 PST 2003

> Excellent questions. I'd really like to hear some good answers from
> the partisans of the view that it does, but they've been scarce so
> far.
>
> Doug

In order to say that there is no connection, you have to say that there is room in the world capitalist economy for everybody who "gets it right" to get rich -- i.e., that the countries who entered late and never enjoyed a period of early import substitution (ala Japan) can now win the game and do what Japan did. Is that what you say? Why do you believe late entry and export orientation are not the good answers you want to hear? Do you believe that all nations can sell their way to prosperity within this world order? Why does the poker game analogy not impress you? The G7 set up the game and won it, thanks in no small part to the plunder and enslavement of the Third World. That's real history. Now, the G7 and their international economic institutions tell the Third World that playing in the game the G7 has already won is the only option. No redistribution is forthcoming.

Wojtek thinks the best thing that could happen to Africa is full integration under the status quo. Once wages in Thailand and Vietnam get too high, he may start getting his wish, if we survive that long.

Again, astounding views for "left" business observers.